This operation will be to remove the plate that is currently securing his left arm. If the plate is removed and the doctors find no infection around the bone, they will replace the plate and begin recovery. If there is infection still present, the doctors will need to treat the infection before placing a new plate inside his arm.
The news just keeps getting worse it seems for Gronk. Even with the injury mess he’s had this off-season, there is still a chance he’s ready for week 1. If the docs find no infection outside of the plate, he could be ready. But if he needs to wait and get an infection under control, again, the recovery time will likely go into the regular season.
In terms of fantasy, you have to be leery of taking him as a top pick in drafts. Personally, I would have both Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez ahead of him. And possibly Jason Witten. No one can deny Gronk’s talent when healthy but this story seems to be going down the wrong path. Hernandez has also had his share of problems and the Patriots seem to be taking his recovery very slowly. They want to make sure at least one of their star tight ends is ready to go. If not, look out for Jake Ballard, who is just now getting back into football shape after missing the entire 2012 season.
To see how we are ranking the tight ends, check in with Jason Davis our TE expert!
- Trade Court - Have the Experts Rule On Your League Trades (Coming Soon)
- Football Rankings - Standard, PPR, IDP
- Baseball Rankings - C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, DH, SP, RP, OVERALL
- Injury Report by Ziad Dahdul, PT, DPT - Analysis
- YouTube - FFLockerRoom Fantasy Sports Channel
- RSS Feed - Outstanding Fantasy Sports Advice Delivered to Your Email