Welcome to the Week 8 Fantasy Football Recap: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly! Every week you will get a mostly fantasy football oriented recap from my point of view. If I deviate a bit from football, there is probably a good reason, bear with me and thanks for taking the time to stop by. This week 8 addition is a couple days late, sorry. We had some website issues which caused me to get behind but here it is!
By Tom Schriner, The Fantasy Football Junkie
By now, if you have been reading this article on a regular basis, you know that I’m a huge Detroit Lions fan. And by huge, I’m talking about HUGE. So much so that I’m one of those fantasy owners that will sit certain players and defenses if they happen to play the Lions so I don’t have to go through those emotions of saying, “well, we lost but…” and that but being some player goes off against my team. I can’t stand that. It takes away some of the heartache or jubilation that all fans should feel toward their team. It takes away some of the passion for loving one team. And it’s part of the reason why society is getting so soft.
Hear me out. By playing a player against your own team, you are basically giving yourself an out. If your team wins, great! If your teams loses, it was probably because of the player you elected to play, great! So when are you supposed to feel the loss? It’s ok to lose, God knows as a Lions fan we’ve lost a lot. Have some sense of loyalty! Have some team pride, and enjoy watching your team without the double-sided, I can get something from both sides of the fence, kind of attitude.
That being said, there was no way I was sitting Dez for that one…
• So, how bout dem Lions! What a comeback, what a game! Detroit needed to win that game to go into the bye feeling good about themselves, and they did. And how about Calvin Johnson, having one of the single greatest games ever played from the WR position! He was completely ridiculous and to think he was only a couple of yards away from tacking on two more touchdowns. Wow, that’s all I can say.
• Drew Brees, how I love thee, let me count the ways. I count to five, because that’s how many touchdowns he threw for in week 8. Being an owner of Brees just gives me the goosebumps. I was able to secure his services in a 16 team keeper league this offseason for future draft picks and am not regretting it one bit. It’s safe to say, I’m leading my division by a hefty margin and am finally looking to secure a birth to the championship game! Maybe I’m looking too far ahead…
• We can’t get too far down this list without mentioning the amazing fantasy day for Bengals WR Marvin Jones. Jones had been ramping up his playing time and stats the past few weeks and it culminated in a huge breakout of 122 yards and 4 scores. He actually finished tied with Megatron with 36 fantasy points on the day.
• Because this article usually comes out on Sunday, I don’t get a chance to write about the Monday night game but since I’m late, I get to talk about the crazy good night Zac Stacy had running for the Rams. He totaled 134 yards on the ground and continues to look better and better each week. The Seahawks just don’t give up that kind of yardage. Ever.
• Andre Ellington owners have been saying it for weeks now, but it finally happened. He got the ball, and boy did he deliver. With Rashard Mendenhall sidelined due to injury, Andre showed that maybe he can handle more of the running load. He ran for 154 yards and TD, making him that weeks highest scoring RB.
• Finally the Jaguars start to get the ball into the hands of their best player, Maurice Jones Drew. Before week 8, MJD had just ten receptions on the year. This week he caught 6 on 8 targets for 47 yards and ran for another 75. Both are season highs and this is hopefully a sign of good things to come after the bye.
• Eli Manning, after a historically bad start turning the ball over, has now had two straight weeks with no interceptions or lost fumbles. For me, that’s good enough. Baby steps Eli, baby steps.
• Mike Glennon continues to impress me. I know they lost and their team is a complete mess right now, but he looks like a good NFL quarterback. Even with all of the trouble surrounding the club he has been very consistent since taking over the starting job. And after losing Mike Williams and Doug Martin, we’ll get an even better sense of what kind of leader this kid can be. Over his last three starts, he’s gone over 250 yards in each, while throwing for 5 TDs and just 1 INT.
• Since coming back from injury, Eddie Lacy has been a real workhorse going over 20 carries in all four games. He got a massive 29 carries during week 8 for 94 yards with a TD. The Packers finally have the compliment for Aaron Rodgers that they have been searching for.
• Another solid fantasy day for Jamaal Charles who now has double-digit points in every game this year. Ho hum.
• I know his two-touchdown performance suggests otherwise but Darren McFadden, when are you gonna show up? 24 carries for 73 yards? Are you joking? I know you scored two touchdowns but those numbers are just ridiculous. I could give the ball to Mikel LeShoure and he could bang out 70 yards. Heck, Peyton Hillis gets called off the street and can pound out 70 yards with just 20 carries. I’m so glad that I kept you on my do not draft list this season.
• Not that I need to mention Jared Cook anywhere on this site, but he had another terrible fantasy day. Since breaking out in week one, he’s been the exact opposite of awesome.
• The Bengals had Geno Smith‘s number taking both of his picks back to the house. It was not a memorable day for Geno as he continues to ride the highs and lows of being a rookie NFL QB.
• The Detroit Lions were one of the leagues worst against the run but they held Cowboys’ running back Joseph Randle to just 26 yards on 14 carries. Many fantasy owners were expecting a decent game here but the Lions D stood firm.
• On Monday night, the St. Louis Rams made it a point to stop Marshawn Lynch. And they did exactly that keeping him in check all night. He finished with just 2 fantasy points. What’s worse is that the Seahawks didn’t give him one carry with a first and goal on the three yard line.
• Tom Brady you are absolutely killing one of my fantasy teams. And you are also killing my neighbors team. So get it together will ya? You have Gronk back and Amendola, start playing better!
• Jason Witten now has just 7 fantasy points over the past three weeks. For a guy that’s supposed to a TE1, no question, he’s having a pretty terrible season thus far.
As always, I don’t highlight every good or bad performance, just the ones I thought were worth mentioning. If you think I skipped a notable player, leave a comment! My wife always says I have a terrible memory…